Review: Nivea Creme

Product:
Nivea Creme

Price:
Purchased at Shoppers Drug Mart, $8.99 for 200ml. Cheaper at Wal-Mart and No-frills. Sometimes you can even get the 500ml for the same price lol

Claims:
"Nivea Creme provides rich care, protecting the skin from drying out. Great for body, face, hands and even dry spots like elbows and knees. For all skin types"



Some Background:
I initially bought the classic Nivea Creme with the intention of making my own "Sandwich Mask". The mask is suppose to help boost hydration and is very suitable for people with dry skin. Even though I don't have dry skin, I wanted to give the DIY mask a try because of the hydrating effects. Basically, you would soak the blank mask with whatever toner that you are using, and you would slather on a thick layer of Nivea Creme on your face. Once you put the toner soaked mask on, you would put more Nivea Creme on top of the sheet mask. Wait for 10-15 mins and so on. 

I only tried the mask once because I thought it was too much work. So I just left the Nivea Creme in the fridge for a while and forgot about it. But I started to use the creme again when my skin became irritated. I had another massive breakout and my skin was very itchy and flaky. I didn't want to go out and purchase new products in fear that it will cause further breakouts, so I have been using the Nivea Creme ever since. 



Review: 
The reviews for this product is kinda mixed. Some people love it for how basic it is while some people hate it because it is very thick and oily. I tried to use it as a body creme, and of course, it was so thick that it was very hard to spread around. Now I use it as a facial/repairing creme because it provides me exactly what I need, a basic product that provides sufficient hydration and doesn't break me out. 

A lot of users complain that it is very oily, and they do have a point. Like I mentioned before, the creme is very thick and difficult to spread around. But I did end up finding a way to solve the issue. I started to pair the creme with Avene's Thermal Spring Water. 

The Thermal Spring Water gives enough boost to make the creme less condensed, and it makes it a lot easier to be applied to the face. Not to mention the Thermal Spring Water has calming effects that reduces redness and blemishes, so it pairs perfectly with the Nivea Creme to calm my skin down. I am happy to say that my skin is on the road to recovery, and has been looking a lot better compared to what it was 3 months ago. 

Yes, my face might be a little shiny because the creme can be a bit oily after application, but I never wake up and find my face oily. You can argue that I probably wiped all the creme on my pillow, but I don't think so. Remember back when I did a review on Faceshop's sheet masks? If I don't wash the face masks off after each usage, I would always wake up in the morning with tons of oil secretion on my face. But despite how oily the Nivea Creme is after application, my face is almost oil-free when I wake up in the morning, and it feels freaking awesome. 


Nicely absorbed! Well, may be a little oily..but I don't mind :)

Application:
I always use Avene's Thermal Spring Water with Nivea Creme now, it's just such a perfect pairing. But of course, you can use any other water or toner, as long as it makes the consistency of the creme less dense. 

I usually scoop out the creme and put it on my palm, spray some Thermal Spring Water on to my palm or face, and then rub the cream between my hands before gently patting it on to my face. 

I guess the only issue I have with the Nivea Creme is the packaging. Yes, the timeless classic blue tin Nivea Creme looks pretty good, but it can get a little unsanitary because I keep dipping my fingers back into it to get the product. But it's not a big problem, I can just get a scoop or something..



Conclusion:
You know what, I think I really like this blue tin canned Nivea Cream. It's just such a basic product, and it can have so many different uses. In times of need, such as when I break out and have flaky and sensitive skin, Nivea Creme totally helped me out and fixed it. I will most likely purchase this product again! However, I imagine this creme would only work well in cold and dry climates, like in Canada and Canadian winters, and not so much in the summer time...So your discretion is advised!

Quick Summary 
Pros
- Provides sufficient hydration
- Basic and fuss free
- Multiple uses
- Bang for your buck
- Good for dry and sensitive skin

Cons
- Very thick consistency
- Hard to spread around
- Oily





Comments